Discover the Future
Continue to develop your commercial or recreational maritime skills with Explorer’s Guide Online
Our courses have been reviewed by the National Maritime Center and are approved as licensing training
More courses coming soon! Information at bottom of page
Modern E-Learning Software
EGO employs industry leading, e-learning software, providing a user-friendly, frustration free experience.
- Mobile Responsive & AutoSync: Complete course work anytime, anywhere using any of your devices. AutoSync lets you seamlessly pickup where you left off
- Focus Mode: A distraction-free experience designed to increase learner retention & success rates
- Clean Interface: From student log-in to course quizzes, intentionally designed courses & intuitive interactions make earning your license a breeze
- End-to-End Service: From enrollment questions to licensing application, we’re here to assist throughout your entire licensing voyage
- Global Experience: EGO has turned boaters into captains throughout the world. Similarly, our instructors have international & domestic sailing experience. Regardless of your homeport or destination, we’re ready to assist you
- Progress Tracking: EGO’s learning software automatically updates us of your course progress. Using this, we proactively reach out when you might need assistance
More National Maritime Center approved courses are coming soon.
Thousands of Satisfied Captains
“Everyone I have talked to has been very polite and professional. I recommend this school to the people I work with. I have been an operator of tugboats for over 30 years and found this class an eye opener.”
“This is program is top notch. I looked at a handful of other programs but this one was by far the best. The lessons were extremely helpful and easy to navigate. By the time I was finished, the test questions were second nature!”
“I can’t thank you enough for how enjoyable you made the experience of getting my license. I was really nervous about the tests, but with all of reviews that you put in the program, they really turned out to be a non-issue.”
“With our ship’s busy schedule, the online courses were exactly what the crew needed. The Explorer’s Guide team answered all our questions & made the process easy. We all passed the exams first try!”
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Captain’s license?
Technically there is no such thing as a maritime captain’s license. There are Operator and Master licenses, which are referred to as Captain’s licenses. These allow the holder to carry passengers-for-hire on vessels and are legally required whenever you carry passengers-for-hire or engage in certain economic activities.
Who needs a Captain’s license?
Anyone who carries passengers-for-hire is legally required to hold an Operator or Master license. Operator of Uninspected Vessels (OUPV) holders can carry up to six passengers-for-hire. This is common among fishing guides, sightseeing tours, and water taxis. Master licenses are required when operating inspected vessels and/or carrying more than six passengers-for-hire.
How long do your courses take?
Course length depends upon the course. Check out the “Learn More” section of each course for course-specific details.
Are there any prerequisites?
Prerequisites depends upon the course. Check out the “Learn More” section of each course to learn about required prerequisites. Generally, each course has a minimum sea time requirement.
Is online learning right for me?
A myth of online learning is that “you learn alone.” With EGO, this is far from the truth as we provide classroom-like learning support whenever needed. This approach is ideal for students with busy schedules who cannot commit to the schedules of in-person classes but are motivated to learn the material.
Not sure if its right for you? Contact us and let us help you make a decision. Our partner company “Explorer’s Guide LLC” offers in-person courses. Learn more here.
Do you offer any discounts?
Yes! As a thank you for all they’ve done and do, we offer a military, first responder, and veteran discount.
Group enrollment discounts are available as well. A minimum of three people are required. This is a perfect solution for yacht & boat clubs, fishing & sailing teams, and professional organizations.
Contact us to learn more about discount pricing.
Ahoy! Interested in learning more? Give us a call or send us a message, and an Explorer’s Guide team member will respond back within 24 hours.